Looks good, right? Well, I assure you, this Cowboy Caviar tastes as great as it looks. This simple dish is the perfect side or dip for any summer party; it travels perfectly and can be served chilled or at room temperature. It’s packed with flavor from crisp, brightly-colored veggies and creamy legumes, and serves up great on tortilla chips or just a spoon. Show up at your Fourth of July pot-luck with this eye-catching dish, and you’ll be a bigger hit than the fireworks.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 lb. Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 to 1 c. red onion, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 c. frozen sweet corn kernels
- 1/3 c. white wine vinegar
- 1-5 T. sugar (to taste)
- 1 t. cumin
- 3 T. cilantro (or parsley)
- Juice of one lime (about 1-2 T.)
The hardest part of this recipe is dicing the peppers and onion to equal size. Once that’s done, just toss all the ingredients together in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving time. That’s it! Go enjoy the weather!
If you like this recipe, you might want to try my recipe for Mexican Chopped Salad. It has many of the same flavors, but with crisp, leafy greens and a zesty, fresh lime and honey vinaigrette dressing.