So, let’s be honest… salads can get really boring. And often, in an attempt to liven them up, we drown them in high-fat, high-calorie, nutrition-less dressings; in doing so, we cancel out any of the health benefits of the salad itself, before it even makes it to the fork. Well, I’ve got one dressing that will not only bring that creamy, herby flavor but also adds to the nutritional value of your
Here’s what you’ll need for the green goddess dressing:
- A blender or food processor (or mortar and pestle and a lot of elbow grease and patience.)
- ½ c. plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- ½ c. mayo (go for a good-quality, all-natural version, or low-fat/cal. I think you could even substitute avocado here.)
- 1 T. fresh lemon juice
- 1 T. anchovy paste (don’t be put off by this; it doesn’t add a “fishy” flavor at all but plays a very important role in rounding out the dressing as a whole)
- 6-8 scallions
- ½ c. parsley, packed
- 1 small garlic clove
- Salt and pepper to taste
Here’s what you’ll need for the BLAT Chopped Salad:
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 c. grape or cherry tomatoes halved or quartered
- ½ avocado, diced
- ½ lb. bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces, fried and drained
- Croutons, if desired
This is super simple. Place all of the dressing ingredients into your blender or food processor*. Blend on high for about a minute. Scrape down the sides and blend another minute until creamy and uniform. Place into a small container and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to marry.
While the dressing is mellowing in the
Then, cut all your veggies and toss in a bowl. Add the cooled bacon, some croutons if you like, and top with that beautiful, creamy, light-green dressing.
*When using a mortar and pestle, grind up everything but the yogurt and mayo to a fine paste then fold into the yogurt and mayo.
If you love B.L.T.s, check out this B.L.T. Pasta Salad.